Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kissing Cousins


"My name is Elizabeth but no one's ever called me that.  My father took one look at me when I was born and must of though I had the face of someone dignified and sad like an old-fashioned queen or a dead person, but what I turned out like is plain, not much there to notice.  Even my life so far has been plain.  More Daisy than Elizabeth from the word go." (1).

Daisy is 15.  She has what the shrinks call an "eating disorder."  She was sent by her father and step-mother to England.  Now it's World War III. 

Oh, and to make things more complicated, she's fallen in love.  With her cousin. 

If your reaction is "Whaa?," don't feel alone.  I was the same way.  I stuck through it, and although it's not the best dystopian novel I've ever read, it does have it's merits.  One of the better parts involves how Daisy overcomes her eating disorder despite the war ravaged countryside around her--or actually, maybe because of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment