Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fan Boy hearts Goth Girl



Fanboy is a comic book geek.  He has one friend, a beer-guzzling neanderthal for a stepfather, a pregnant mother, and a single lucky bullet that he keeps in his pocket.  To top it all off, he's in high school, and all he wants to do is get out of there as quickly as possible. 

Soon he meets Kyra, a "goth girl" who drives like a maniac and lies constantly. When he shares with Kyra that he is writing his own graphic novel, things begin to fall apart.  He loses his one and only friend and the comic book convention he has been looking forward turns into a disaster.  Plus, he has to deal with feelings for a girl who seems to hate his guts.  What is a comic book geek to do? 
 
The Astonishing Adventures of Fan Boy and Goth Girl, by Barry Lyga, was the next book I read in my journey into the teenage mind.  The thing that makes this book great is the dialogue between the main character and everyone else in the novel, including his internal monologue.  It's just so real--I felt like I was on the inside of my brother's mind when he was in high school.  It's hilarious in parts, but equally touching in others.  Here's a snippet of Fan Boy talking to his best friend Cal on the phone after the two have an argument:

"Why did you call me?"
He pauses, and there are infinities in the pause before he says: "Because you're my friend."
"Cal, can you hang on for a second?"
"Sure." 
I put the phone down and walk to the other side of the room, where I indulge myself in some quiet tears. 

You probably have to have read the rest book to get the significance of this interaction, but I almost cried myself when I read that.  At times I just wanted to give little Fan Boy a hug.

That said, the ending disappointed me a little, and I felt like more could've been resolved, but ultimately I was satisfied by this book.  I recently finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is discussed in Lyga's book, so I felt like I could relate to Fan Boy a little better.  I've also been starting to get into graphic novels myself, so it was nice to see that interest reflected in the text.  I think the graphic novel element to this book is so appealing to teens today, so they will definitely not hesitate to pick up this book.  

Coming in the near future: my reactions to the teen music sensations known as "The Jonas Brothers."  Yes, I got there most recent CD at the library, trying to get myself in the YA mood.  Details and reviews to come...  


No comments:

Post a Comment