Saturday, January 10, 2009

YA reading, Holden Caulfield style!

So here we are: the first post.  You might be wondering why I am doing this, or at least why it is called "Blogger in the Rye."  First things first...this is a class assignment for my LIS 2600 course, which is called Introduction to Information Technology.  Get it?  Blogging=information technology!

Secondly, the name refers to the official patron saint of this blog, Holden Caulfield, made famous in the 1945 novel Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.  This may not be as easy to understand.  

This focus of this blog, I've decided, is going to be centered around young adult literature.  I'm also taking a class called "Young Adult Resources," which entails that I read about 795348397 young adult books this semester, one of them being the story of young Holden.  

If you've never read the book, Holden is your typical, whiny, narcissistic teenager.  He calls everyone a hypocrite and he doesn't care what people think.  This is a characterization that most of the narrators of young adult literature share, and something I'm sure I'll be sick of by the end of the semester.  

So sit back, think back to your teenage days, and join me as I talk about the books I read.  Read as I dissect Twilight and try to figure out why the heck it's so popular (which I may never understand...).  Journey with me through The Outsiders, The Lovely Bones, and every other young adult book known to man.  

I'll leave you with a typical Holden quote that will set the tone the semester, I'm sure:

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." (Chapter 1)



2 comments:

  1. It's funny, I loved that book when I read it in high school, but when I reread it several years later I couldn't stand Holden. I guess there's no clearer proof of growing up, huh?

    Regarding Twilight (which is something I know way too much about, because I am morbidly fascinated by its fans), you may find the following blog illuminating: http://cleolinda.livejournal.com/602881.html
    I think she does a pretty good job of getting inside the head of your typical teen Twifan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bednar, I think that this post of yours mentioning The Catcher in the Rye can be described in one word: phony. Just kidding! I love the title of your blog!

    ReplyDelete