Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Requisite Twilight Post (you knew it was coming!)




The first YA book that I read this semester makes teen girls all over the world sigh and wish they had a vampire boyfriend just like Edward Cullen.  That's right, I just finished reading Twilight.  For the second time.  

I first read Twilight about a year ago, in my senior year of college.  This was before "Twilight Mania" hit, and at that time I thought it was an intriguing read.  I finished it really quickly and actively went in search of the sequel (which I still have yet to read.  I'm a little behind!).  Little did I know just how obsessed girls would become with Stephenie Meyer's vampire chick-lit young adult novel in just a few short months.  Reading the book the second time, for my class, I couldn't help but cringe at some of the dialogue and the repetitive vocabulary.  If you've never read Twilight, here is a choice quote:
This is Bella, the main character of the story, talking about Edward, the hot vampire love interest: "About three things I was absolutely positive.  First, Edward was a vampire.  Second, there was a part of him--and I didn't know how potent that part might be--that thirsted for my blood.  And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him." (195).

There's a lot of "I can't live without you's" and "You are my life now's."  There are even more burning eyes and fluttering hearts.  It's a bit too much sometimes, but I do have to say that for pure entertainment value, there is no substitute for the Twilight series, even for someone who is much older than it's intended audience.

If you can believe this, I actually saw the movie as well.  TWICE.  That's right, I did.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie, actually.  I thought it was well acted and directed, and while the special effects left a little to be desired, the overall feeling of the movie was great.  And Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward, is not too hard on the eyes, if you know what I mean.

So I recommend Twilight to the general public, and yes, even to the male reader out there.  It's good to know the teenage female perspective on issues of love (and lust), and also to stay up on what the kids are reading these days. 


1 comment:

  1. I also saw the movie twice, which is pretty embarrassing, but it's much better than the book! I think Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson did great jobs, considering the source material.

    I encourage you to read the sequels when you get the chance -- I think it's probably an eye-opening experience for anyone who wants to know "what the kids are reading these days."

    ReplyDelete